FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WhatsMyCO2.com Challenges Consumers to be Carbon Neutral:
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Offset the Rest
This new website provides straight forward technology and eco-friendly tips to help consumers measure and reduce the impact they have on the environment.
San Francisco, April 21, 2008 – WhatsMyCO2.com today announced the launch of its e-commerce global climate change website. The fully-integrated site will serve as an informational resource that synthesizes the latest news and research to help consumers educate themselves about global climate change and discover ways to reduce their carbon footprint. The website will also host an online community to empower consumers to share ideas and work together to address global climate change.
WhatsMyCO2.com has developed an in-depth carbon calculator that allows a person or household to determine their carbon emissions. This technology has been applied to the WhatsMyCO2.com mini carbon calculator, which can be posted on third-party websites, blogs and social networking sites for quick and easy access to a user’s personal carbon emissions data and helpful links for more information.
In the face of mounting evidence of global climate change and the determination that human activity is the “likely cause” (IPCC, 4th Assessment), WhatsMyCO2.com was born out of the desire by its founder to educate herself and her family on how to reduce their own carbon footprint.
“People now understand that the climate and quality of the environment are changing. However, most feel powerless in the face of global climate change,” states Heidi Young, founder of WhatsMyCO2.com and experienced public policy researcher. “I noticed in my daily conversations that environmental issues surfaced as a key topic. I decided to develop a website that cuts through the hype and provides tangible, need-to-know information and ideas that can be put to use in our daily lives.”
The comprehensive site features six sections:
- A user-friendly carbon calculator allows a person or household to determine their carbon emissions related to transportation, air travel, home energy use and waste production. A mini carbon calculator widget can reside on users’ web pages, social networking pages and blogs for quick and easy carbon emissions calculations.
- The Learn section discusses climate change impacts, resource usage, renewable energy, research/education links, government policies and Election 2008 coverage.
- The Act section recommends small and big changes that consumers can make at home, in their transportation choices, food choices and other options to offset their carbon emissions.
- A news section keeps consumers up to date on the latest events related to global climate change with customized news sections focused on alternative energy, carbon offsets, alternative transportation, and green investments.
- The kids section offers eco-friendly suggestions for educational opportunities and activities.
- A products section features the best green products available in the marketplace. These products will be available for purchase via the website.
Other features include two blogs in the WhatsMyCO2.com online community. Roots is devoted to youth and written by youth, and Going Green is geared toward consumers of any age. Users can also receive e-newsletters and product updates.
The evidence is in, but now what to do? WhatsMyCO2.com was created to provide consumers with the information they need to take action against global climate change – the site provides easy access to global climate change research and news, a sophisticated carbon calculator, tips on how to reduce one’s carbon footprint, and the best eco-friendly products in the marketplace. In addition, it will offer a trusted community in which to share ideas. For more information visit www.whatsmyco2.com or call 415-750-1231.
Heidi Young, Founder